The Harriet Taylor Upton House (circa 1840)

Built by General Simon Perkins in 1840, this national historic site became the home of women’s suffrage leader Harriet Taylor Upton in 1887. It also served as the headquarters for the National American Women’s Suffrage Association from 1903 until 1905 when it was moved to the Courthouse. In 1909 the organization relocated to New York City.

Harriet Taylor Upton was Warren's national celebrity at the turn of the 20th century. Born on December 17, 1854, in Ravenna, Ohio, she moved with her family to Warren, Ohio in 1862.

Harriet's widowed father, Judge Ezra B. Taylor, was appointed to Congress in 1880. Harriet accompanied him to Washington, D.C., where she served as his hostess and companion. There she became a favorite in society, both for her literary ability and her amiability of character. She married Attorney George Upton in 1884. They had no children.

Because of her familiarity with the Washington political scene she was a natural to represent the cause of women's suffrage. In 1890, Harriet committed herself completely to the suffrage movement. For the next 30 years she was dedicated to the passage of the 19th amendment, giving women the right to vote. She worked closely with her mentor, Susan B. Anthony, with whom she formed a lasting friendship. Through her political involvement, she became friends with Presidents Hayes, Garfield, McKinley, Harding and Hoover. It was said by the Washington Post, "Mrs. Upton is without a doubt the best liked and wisest suffrage worker in the country...”


The house was Harriet's home until 1931 when at the age of 76 she lost it in a sheriff's sale. Penniless she moved to California to live out her days with relatives. She later died in 1945 at the age of 90 in Pasadena and her ashes were interred in a pauper's grave. In October 2011, after receiving permission from Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mary Thornton House, Harriet's ashes were returned to Warren and re-interred during a special memorial ceremony in her beloved garden behind the Upton House.  


This historic site is a unique location for private parties and events and can accommodate up to 40 inside. The outside garden is available at an additional cost. Call the museum for rental details, hours of operation and special tours. 

Basic Info

380 Mahoning Avenue NW
Warren, Ohio 44483

Website

Trumbull County Tourism Bureau Member

Bureau MemberBureau Member
Harriet Taylor Upton House Front View2